Thursday 8 December 2016

A baby dead and another in critical condition after hospital gas mix-up

Cian Murray

Published 26/07/2016 | 12:24

Nitrous oxide is commonly known as 'laughing gas'
Nitrous oxide is commonly known as 'laughing gas'

A newborn baby has died after being administered nitrous oxide instead of oxygen in a Sydney hospital.

  • Go To

Meanwhile, another baby is fighting for its life after receiving the incorrect gas in June.

The tragedy was the result of a faulty line which dispensed the wrong gas and was only discovered after an on-duty doctor noticed that the baby had suddenly died.

Mother of the newborn, Sonya Ghanem, told Australian broadcaster Channel 9: "I said, 'I want to see him.' Just looking at him, shaking. 'My son, wake up,' I would tell him. 'Wake up, wake up. What did they do to you?' "

New South Wales Health Minister Jillian Skinner has ordered a full investigation into what she has described as a “tragic mistake.”

She also noted that the gas lines were checked and certified by gas company BOC ltd and the hospital.

A statement from BOC ltd has said “We deeply regret that these families are suffering pain and sorrow.” 

Skinner also reassured the public by adding: “Mothers can feel confident that we have checked every operating theatre, every bay where babies are treated and there are no other examples of this.”

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News