Thursday 21 September 2017

Video: Fury as TV crew film sex attack but fail to help victim

Andrew Buncombe in Delhi

SCENES captured on film by a television journalist of a mob molesting and stripping a teenage girl in a city in north-eastern India have triggered outrage across the country.

Many people are demanding to know why the journalist filmed the 30-minute assault, rather than trying to help the young woman.

At least four men have been arrested by police in the aftermath of the attack on a 17-year-old fashion student.

Officers said they were able to identify a number of the alleged participants from the footage that was broadcast on television and subsequently uploaded on to the internet.

The media channel has defended the actions of its staff.

The incident in the city of Guwahati has again highlighted the dangers and threats often faced by women in India, a nation where sexual harassment is often referred to by the media as 'Eve-teasing'.

Yesterday, television channels repeatedly broadcast the footage of the beating and assault of the young woman, said to have taken place after she had been celebrating a friend's birthday in a bar.

As police in Guwahati, the state capital, said they were continuing their investigation, protesters took to the streets, putting up posters of the alleged culprits and demanding that the authorities act. (© Independent News Service)

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in World News