Mother in Australia finds three-metre python biting son's head in bed
Published 24/02/2016 | 08:31
A mother in Australia has saved her son by ripping off a three-metre python that was biting his face.
The parent, identified only as Tammy on social media, woke up to the screams of her son Tyler duirng the night on Thursday after the snake entered their home in Macksville, northern New South Wales.
The boy, who was sleeping in the top part of a bunk bed, was awoken when the reptile slithered under the sheets and bit him on the hand.
It then started attacking his face before Tammy rushed in, snatched it away and called for help.
Tyler was attacked by a three-metre python. Photo: Craig Baker/Facebook
A friend of the family, Craig Baker, killed the snake. In a photo of it posted on Facebook, the snake dangles from above his head down to the ground.
The post on the social networking site, which has since been shared thousands of times, says Tyler is now doing well.
A spokeswoman for the Mid North Coast Local Health District told The Daily Telegraph in Australia a six-year-old boy was admitted to Macksville District Hospital early last Friday before being moved to Coffs Harbour hospital.
Snakes are a common problem in Australia. Last week, a homeowner in Maroochy River, Queensland had a nasty shock when he found a snake lurking behind a plug socket. Dramatic video footage showed a huge carpet python trapped behind the socket causing smoke to waft out from the wall.
Last month, experts said a "plague" of snakes had seen a sharp rise in humans and pets suffering bites across the country.
"The hotter the day, the more active the snakes are – definitely," a vet said at the time. "It’s a very hot season...There’s also a lot of new developments so the snakes don’t have the habitat that they used to have, so they’re basically moving into people’s backyards."