Asia-Pacific

Friday 1 August 2014

Malaysia Airlines introduces all new safety measures

Jonathan Pearlman in Kuala Lumpur

Published 01/04/2014|02:30

  • Share
Malaysia's acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein Photo: AP Photo/Aaron Favila
Malaysia's acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein Photo: AP Photo/Aaron Favila

Malaysia Airlines is introducing new security measures – including an extra crew member inside the cockpit when one of the plane's two pilots takes a toilet break – following the disappearance of flight MH370.

  • Share
  • Go To

As the multinational search for the Boeing 777 in the Indian Ocean failed to produce evidence of debris, the airline confirmed that it had introduced stricter measures for pilots in the week after its plane went missing on March 8.

The rules, which follow the tightening of security at Malaysian airports, reportedly require crew members to enter the cockpit whenever a pilot is alone, and to stand guard at the cockpit door when it is opened during service of food.

The news came as the Malaysian government revealed that the final words from the cockpit of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane were "good night, Malaysian three seven zero" and not "all right, goodnight" as previously claimed.

SINISTER

The government also revealed that it had not confirmed whether the words were spoken by the pilot or co-pilot. Earlier, officials said the final words were spoken by Fariq Abdul Hamid, the co-pilot.

Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's acting transport minister, said there was not "anything sinister" in the cockpit transcript and encouraged crash investigators to release the official copy.

An official source said that investigators had detected nothing strange about the final wording or tone of voice but continue to believe the disabling of the plane's communications and its strange route were deliberate.

The search for MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean continued yesterday but failed to find any confirmed wreckage. Three orange objects were retrieved and found to be fishing equipment.

An Australian naval ship carrying a United States black box locater set off for the search area from Perth and will arrive on Thursday, just days before MH370's black box's pinger runs out of battery life. The batteries could last up to six weeks, but authorities said the time would be effectively useless, unless the search area was significantly narrowed.

However, Tony Abbott, Australia's prime minister, pledged that the search would continue to try to find answers and he was "not putting a time limit on it".

"We owe it to the families, we owe it to everyone who travels by air, we owe it to the governments of the countries who had citizens on that aircraft," he said. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in World News