Tuesday 17 October 2017

Warning over 'daffodil poisoning'

Daffodils can be seen everywhere as we come into Spring
Daffodils can be seen everywhere as we come into Spring

Supermarkets have reportedly been asked to make sure daffodils are kept separate from fruit and vegetables in a bid to prevent customers mistakenly eating the poisonous plants.

People have been known to mistake daffodil bulbs for onions and the stems for a popular Chinese vegetable, Public Health England (PHE) said.

As a result the body has sent a letter to stores advising them how to avoid such occurrences this spring as the flower comes into season.

If eaten daffodils can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and irritation to the mouth and throat, with symptoms lasting anywhere between four and 24 hours, according to the British Columbia Drug and Poison Information Centre.

In the letter, entitled "Steps to avoid daffodil poisonings this spring", PHE director Professor Paul Cosford said: " Each spring stores such as yours provide a wide selection of flowers, particularly cut daffodils and daffodil bulbs.

"Unfortunately there are rare occasions when the bulbs are mistaken for onions, and the stems or leaves are mistaken for a type of vegetable popular in China.

"As I'm sure you are aware, daffodils are dangerous if eaten and poisoning can occur as a result."

"We are asking you, along with all other major supermarkets, to ensure that daffodils, both the bulbs from which they sprout and the cut variety too, are displayed well away from the produce or fruit and vegetable area."

Press Association

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in World News