Saturday 3 December 2016

Top Gear bosses defend 'respectful' Cenotaph filming

Published 13/03/2016 | 13:06

Matt LeBlanc, left, and rally driver Ken Block during the filming of BBC's Top Gear in Westminster
Matt LeBlanc, left, and rally driver Ken Block during the filming of BBC's Top Gear in Westminster
George Osborne urged the Top Gear presenter to make some fuel economies ahead of next week's Budget

Top Gear bosses have defended the show after it was criticised for filming scenes near the Cenotaph in central London.

  • Go To

Host Matt Le Blanc was seen driving around Westminster as shooting took place for the new series of the BBC Two show which is due to air in May.

Pictures appearing to show the car near the war memorial in Whitehall were criticised as "gravely disrespectful" by retired Colonel Richard Kemp.

He told the Telegraph: " This is a sacred tribute to millions of people who have done far more for their country than Chris Evans and Matt Le Blanc ever will."

He added: "Jeremy Clarkson was certainly no saint but I don't believe he would have ever performed a stunt in such bad taste."

A spokesman for Top Gear said images taken by paparazzi made it look like the filming took place closer than it did in reality. He said all scenes were shot around 40 metres away from the memorial.

He said: "The filming took place a respectful distance away from the cenotaph and it was all agreed with Westminster Council in advance."

Earlier on Sunday Chancellor George Osborne scolded Le Blanc's fellow host Chris Evans for making a racket near Downing Street and distracting him from writing the Budget.

He tweeted: "Trying to write my Budget, despite noisy episode of @BBC_TopGear being filmed outside on Horseguards Parade. Keep it down please @achrisevans."

The Budget is due to be delivered on Wednesday.

On Saturday Top Gear host Matt LeBlanc and professional rally driver Ken Block surprised a bride and groom and their wedding guests at St Paul's Cathedral as they motored past, with the former Friends star sticking his arm out of the car window to wave.

A seven-strong line-up for the new series of the motoring show includes LeBlanc, Evans, and Top Gear stalwart The Stig.

Also on board are Formula 1 commentator Eddie Jordan, German racing driver Sabine Schmitz, motoring journalist Chris Harris and car reviewer Rory Reid.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News