Sunday 4 December 2016

Teenager admits microwaving hamster

Published 08/01/2010 | 16:53

A Northamptonshire teenager has admitted cooking a hamster in a microwave
A Northamptonshire teenager has admitted cooking a hamster in a microwave
A Northamptonshire teenager has admitted cooking a hamster in a microwave

A teenager has admitted cooking a hamster in a microwave.

  • Go To

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to one count of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal at a hearing at Kettering Magistrates Court today, the RSPCA confirmed.

A spokeswoman said the teenager, from Corby, Northamptonshire, will be sentenced at Kettering Magistrates Court on February 5.

An RSPCA spokeswoman today said the white Golden hamster, thought to be about a year old, was taken to a vets in March last year.

She said a woman called the RSPCA claiming a friend's son had microwaved the hamster, and was advised to take it to a vet.

But the spokeswoman said it is believed it was at least 26 hours before the animal was taken for treatment.

When examined, she said the vet noticed the hamster did not run around its cage and was very quiet and subdued.

Its right hind leg had been burnt so severely that the flesh had burnt away and its bone was showing through. "The hamster could not walk on that leg," the spokeswoman said.

"There were no other external injuries and the vet presumed there would be organ damage and due to the extensive damage of the leg and change in behaviour and likely extensive organ damage she decided to put the hamster to sleep to prevent it suffering any further."

She said the vet concluded the act of heating the hamster in a microwave would have caused it "extreme" pain and discomfort. "It's difficult to imagine why somebody would do that to an animal and the hamster would have suffered unimaginable pain."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News