Saturday 23 September 2017

Store worker's poison spider shock

A terrified Asda employee came face to face with this banana spider, in Edinburgh (Scottish SPCA)
A terrified Asda employee came face to face with this banana spider, in Edinburgh (Scottish SPCA)

A terrified shop worker let out a scream when she found a venomous spider crawling out of a bunch of bananas.

The Asda worker discovered the ctenidae spider, commonly known as the banana spider, on Tuesday.

A colleague at the supermarket in Chesser, Edinburgh managed to get the adult female and its 10cm leg span into a plastic jar and called the Scottish SPCA.

Animal rescue officer Fiona Thorburn collected the spider and took it to Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World. However, the creature died overnight.

Ms Thorburn said: "The spider was found in a box of bananas that originated from Colombia. Although she was not very large, she was quite an impressive-looking creature, so we can understand why the person who found her let out a loud scream.

"Thankfully in this instance, no one was harmed and the quick-thinking staff did the right thing in containing her safely and calling us for help."

Kevin Thom, from Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World, said they often get exotic spiders handed in to them from shops which receive deliveries from abroad.

He added: "It isn't deadly but its venom contains high levels of serotonin. If bitten you would experience pain, swelling, muscle spasms and flu-like symptoms which could be very unpleasant depending on the amount of venom that was injected.

"These spiders can survive transport from abroad by shutting down and becoming very cold. They awaken when they warm up which is often under bright shop lights.

"This female has possibly suffered shock in transit or it may simply have been her time to die."

Press Association

Editors Choice

Also in World News