Op for dog Benno who ate 23 bullets
Published 09/05/2015 | 15:51
A vet in the US has stopped a dog from going out with a bang after he ate 23 live rifle rounds.
The Baxter Bulletin reports that a four-year-old Belgian Malinois, Benno, had surgery last week to remove the .308 calibre ammunition from his stomach.
Owner Larry Brassfield said Benno had eaten socks, magnets and marbles but he did not expect him to bother a bag of bullets by his bed.
He and his wife realized Benno needed medical attention after the Arkansas pet vomited up four rounds.
The vet removed 17 rounds from Benno's stomach but left two in his oesophagus, which the dog was allowed to deal with naturally.
Mr Brassfield said he would not leave ammo lying around anymore but is not optimistic that Benno will stick to dog food.