Man died in bug-eating contest
Published 26/11/2012 | 19:14
A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live cockroaches during a contest earlier this year, a post-mortem has revealed.
The report released today says 32-year-old Edward Archbold, of West Palm Beach, died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents".
Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.
Mr Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.
Mr Archbold became ill shortly after and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.