independent

Friday 18 April 2014

Man died in bug-eating contest

A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live cockroaches during a contest earlier this year, a post-mortem has revealed.

The report released today says 32-year-old Edward Archbold, of West Palm Beach, died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents".

Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.

Mr Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Mr Archbold became ill shortly after and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.

Press Association

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News