Monday 27 February 2017

Labrador Domino noises up owner by swallowing hearing aid

Domino swallowed Norma McKenzie's hearing aid (PA/PDSA/Malcolm Cochrane)
Domino swallowed Norma McKenzie's hearing aid (PA/PDSA/Malcolm Cochrane)

A puppy needed emergency treatment after swallowing one of her owner's hearing aids.

Norma McKenzie, who requires the devices for occasional use, returned home after an outing to find six-month-old labrador Domino chewing on one of them, but there was no sign of the other.

The 63-year-old realised her pet, who has tried to get her paws on the hearing aids several times in the past, must have eaten one and rushed her to the PDSA Dundee Pet Hospital.

Vets gave her medication to induce vomiting, as the hearing aid could have caused a fatal blockage in the dog's digestive system, while the battery in it could have burned her stomach lining.

Ms McKenzie, from Charleston, Dundee, said: "The injection did the trick and within five minutes Domino had brought up all the different bits of the hearing aid, along with the battery.

"We also discovered that she'd swallowed bits from a comb, the jewel from a hairclip and even been munching on prawn crackers."

PDSA senior vet Andy Cage said it is common for dogs to swallow strange things, especially when puppies, but he stressed any potentially dangerous objects should be kept out of harm's way.

He said: "There is a medical term for pets eating strange objects - pica.

"Dogs, especially puppies and younger dogs like Domino, use their mouth to investigate objects, as well as to eat. Sometimes when doing this, a dog will swallow an object by mistake.

"Thankfully Norma brought Domino straight to the hospital, which meant we were able to take action before it caused any serious damage."

The animal's owner said her hearing aids were not the only items Domino had showed an interest in in recent months.

Ms McKenzie said: "One day I found her with a pair of my glasses and one of the lenses was destroyed.

"She's also chewed the side of my coffee table. I heard that putting mustard on it would stop her but she actually enjoyed it and licked it all off!

"I know she's a puppy and they do like to explore things, but I'm now being a lot more careful where I put things, especially when I get my replacement hearing aids."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News