Saturday 25 March 2017

Firefighters' station hit by blaze

firefighters based at the Tobermory Community Fire Station on the Isle of Mull had to tackle a blaze at their own station.
firefighters based at the Tobermory Community Fire Station on the Isle of Mull had to tackle a blaze at their own station.

Firefighters have had to tackle a blaze in the roof of their own station.

The fire was discovered at 6.30pm on Friday by one of the crew commanders based at the station.

It was extinguished by 9.30pm by retained firefighters based at the Tobermory Community Fire Station on the Isle of Mull.

Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service said part of the lecture room, used for training, had been damaged by the blaze.

A small part of the roof was also broken through by firefighters cutting out smouldering timber.

Paul Connelly, Strathclyde Fire and Rescue's area commander for Argyll and Bute, said: "I'd like to congratulate the Tobermory firefighters for the speedy and efficient way in which they dealt with the fire.

"I'd like to repeat an earlier reminder from Strathclyde Fire and Rescue that this is a warning to all of us that fire can start anywhere.

"We are only too happy to provide free fire safety advice to prevent the kind of incident that we ourselves experienced at Tobermory."

After the fire was found, arrangements were "quickly made" to move the fire appliance from the neighbouring Craignure Volunteer fire station, to Tobermory to provide fire cover for the town, Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service said.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Press Association

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News