Cat who got in a knot saved by PDSA
Published 08/05/2015 | 16:26
PDSA vets have saved the life of a cat who got himself in a tangle after gobbling up shoelaces and hair bands.
Black-and-white cat Garry, from Hove, went to Brighton PDSA Pet Hospital for his annual booster but vets discovered a worrying large mass in his stomach.
The two-year-old cat was admitted for further tests and during emergency exploratory surgery, PDSA vet Jess Maguire was stunned to discover shoelaces and hair bands, along with bits of plastic, in Garry's stomach.
The items are thought to have been eaten over a period of time and staff are amazed that the feline did not suffer any side-effects after his bizarre snacking habits.
Garry's owner, Ana Barbosa, 32, said: "Garry is a very cheeky little chap who has always preferred playing with human things instead of cat toys. But we had no idea he was actually eating them.
"I'd washed some laces from my trainers, which went missing. I never for one moment thought that Garry was the reason why.
"When I first heard it may be a tumour, I was devastated. My two boys and I all adore him. So although I was absolutely shocked to find out what the mass was, we were relieved to hear the good news that it wasn't a tumour."
Vet Jess said: "We often see dogs who have eaten odd things, but it is quite unusual for a cat to eat so many different items."
Ana added: "We're so grateful to PDSA for saving Garry's life - he's a big part of our family and we'd be heart-broken if we'd have lost him so young. Now we know how mischievous he can be, we'll definitely be keeping a closer eye on him in future."
PDSA advises any o wners who fear their pet has eaten something suspicious to contact their vet straight away.