Bee sting prompts hive explosion
Published 30/08/2011 | 09:05
A US man enraged after his friend was stung by a bee dumped petrol on a beehive and set fire to it - causing an explosion heard throughout his Washington state neighbourhood.
Lynden fire chief Gary Baar told the Bellingham Herald that the night-time fire just a few miles south of the Canadian border caused a large "whoosh", singed the tree and killed the bees, but no people were hurt.
Mr Baar said the man's friend had been stung earlier in the day.
The fire chief added: "The correct way to do that is to call a beekeeper."
Firefighters explained that to the homeowner, and the newspaper said it did not appear that the man would be prosecuted.