Tuesday 6 December 2016

Woman’s face goes on fire during routine surgery on cysts

Independent.ie reporters

Published 02/12/2011 | 10:49

Kim Grice received second degree burns to her face during routine surgery to remove cysts
Kim Grice received second degree burns to her face during routine surgery to remove cysts

A 29-YEAR-old woman is recovering from second degree burns to her face after it caught fire while she was on the operating table.

  • Go To

Kim Grice, was having biopsies on three cysts on her head, when a flash fire broke out around the procedure area, burning her face and neck.



Additional medical staff rushed her to the emergency room at North Okaloosa Medical Centre, where the fire was put out and Grice was stabilised.



However, the burns were so severe she was transferred by helicopter to a hospital with a specialist burns unit. According to her mother, her daughter was unconscious when the fire broke out.



"Kim said to me, 'They woke me up and everyone around me was hysterical. I don't know what happened to me,' " Ann Grice told reporters.



Doctors have not told the family the cause of the fire. Fire officials told ABC News that surgery fires can erupt when heat-generating tools, like lasers, are mixed with alcohol, oxygen and surgical coverings.



"I still have not let her see or touch her face," Grice said. "She is a very beautiful girl, my only child, and I don't have an answer for her."



"Her eyes were too swollen for her to see me when I had visiting time this morning," Grice said.



She said her daughter is not yet aware of the severity of her burns.





Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News