Thursday 21 September 2017

'Vince' the dog recovers after stomach surgery to remove leather boots

Doctors say Vince is recovering after surgery to remove parts of a pair of calf-high leather boots he had eaten. (AP Photo/Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center, Dr. Laura Tseng)
Doctors say Vince is recovering after surgery to remove parts of a pair of calf-high leather boots he had eaten. (AP Photo/Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center, Dr. Laura Tseng)
A pair of calf-high leather boots that a 4-year-old mixed breed male dog named Vince had eaten. Doctors say Vince is recovering after surgery to remove the boots. (AP Photo/Courtesy of Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center)
X-ray of a 4-year-old mixed breed male dog named Vince, who ate a pair of calf-high leather boots. Doctors say Vince is recovering after surgery to remove the boots. (AP Photo/Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center)

Press Association

A dog in the US is recovering after surgery to remove parts of a pair of calf-high leather boots the animal had eaten.

The Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Centre in Philadelphia said the four-year-old mixed breed named Vince ate parts of both boots on Friday.

Vets said the volume consumed was so large that the dog's stomach was unable to pass the material into the small intestines, so the pet underwent surgery on Saturday.

Specialists say surgery or endoscopy is often needed when dogs eat something they should not, since it can obstruct the digestive tract and perforate the intestines.

A pair of calf-high leather boots that a 4-year-old mixed breed male dog named Vince had eaten. Doctors say Vince is recovering after surgery to remove the boots. (AP Photo/Courtesy of Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center)
A pair of calf-high leather boots that a 4-year-old mixed breed male dog named Vince had eaten. Doctors say Vince is recovering after surgery to remove the boots. (AP Photo/Courtesy of Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center)

If pets are experiencing vomiting, lethargy or lack of appetite, it may be a sign a foreign object is present, and the animals should be taken to a vet as soon as possible.

X-ray of a 4-year-old mixed breed male dog named Vince, who ate a pair of calf-high leather boots. Doctors say Vince is recovering after surgery to remove the boots. (AP Photo/Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center)
X-ray of a 4-year-old mixed breed male dog named Vince, who ate a pair of calf-high leather boots. Doctors say Vince is recovering after surgery to remove the boots. (AP Photo/Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center)

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in World News