Veteran gangster (72) among 17 arrested over Kardashian robbery
Seventeen suspects including a veteran 72-year-old gangster and three women were arrested in France yesterday in connection with the robbery of the reality television star Kim Kardashian as a result of a DNA match from the crime scene.
Her lawyer said that judges may ask her to confront the suspects as part of the inquiry. Among the detained are five believed to be the armed masked men who robbed the 36-year-old of around €10m worth of jewellery - including her €4m engagement ring - after tying her up in her Paris apartment early on October 3.
The gang had struck at around 3am inside the exclusive apartment block where Ms Kardashian had been staying while attending Paris Fashion Week.
Her bodyguard was out of the flat at the time.
CCTV caught some of the thieves calmly arriving and leaving the building on bikes, some disguised as police officers.
After a three-month investigation, officers conducted a series of raids early yesterday in Le Raincy, in the north-eastern Paris suburb of Seine-Saint-Denis, in Vincennes to the east, as well as Rouen, northern France and Grasse - France's perfume capital on the Riviera.
Paris prosecutors said the robbers were a "mixed bunch", with the youngest aged 23 and the oldest 72. Three women were also detained for questioning. Most were known to police, who also recovered piles of cash during the raids.
Police sources said the group appeared to consist of individuals from the travelling community and a few old-school gangsters from the Paris suburbs who had "come together to pool their skills" in the heist.
The oldest had previous convictions for armed robbery, while the main protagonists, in their fifties, had an "impressive hit list" of previous illicit acts, from hold-ups to fake money and drug trafficking. (© Daily Telegraph, London)
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie