Americas

Tuesday 29 July 2014

US lottery winner 'died of cyanide poisoning'

Mark Hughes New York

Published 09/01/2013|05:00

  • Share

A US lottery winner, who scooped $1m(€764,000) on a scratchcard, died of cyanide poisoning the day after he received his cheque, in what has turned into a bizarre murder mystery.

  • Share
  • Go To

Urooj Khan (46) won the money in June 2012 after buying the ticket at a 7-Eleven store in Chicago.

Instead of receiving the prize in instalments, Mr Khan, who ran a dry-cleaning business, decided to take the cash in one lump sum of $600,000, leaving him with $425,000 after taxes were deducted.

His cheque arrived on July 19, but the following day he was dead. Initially, his death was ruled to have been caused by a heart attack, but after looking at the case further – at the request of a relation – medical examiners have established that he was poisoned.

Stephen Cina, the medical examiner who conducted the further tests, said he had received a telephone call in which the caller had said: "There may be more to it than a natural death". He declined to name the family member.

A spokesman for the lottery said the cheque was cashed on August 15, explaining that if a lottery winner dies, the money goes to his or her estate. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in World News