Wednesday 26 November 2014

US bolsters defences to counter North Korea threat

Raf Sanchez Washington

Published 16/03/2013 | 05:00

Chuck Hage

THE United States announced last night that it was bolstering its military defences along the Pacific coast, including deploying more missiles in Alaska, in response to the growing threat from North Korea's nuclear programme.

A week after Pyon- gyang threatened to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike on Washington, the Pentagon said it was increasing its fleet of interceptor missiles by nearly 50pc.

Chuck Hagel, the newly appointed US defence secretary, said an additional 14 interceptors would be deployed to Alaska by the end of 2017, raising the total to 44 missiles stationed along the west coast.

"The United States has missile defence systems in place to protect us from limited intercontinental ballistic missile attacks, but North Korea in particular has recently made advances in its capabilities and is engaged in a series of irresponsible and reckless provocations," he said.

While North Korea is thought to be at least several years away from being able to strike the US, Mr Hagel said the Obama administration was determined to stay "ahead of the threat".

"Whatever their timelines are (the US must be sure) we're not reacting to those timelines and are ahead of any potential threat," he said.

Barry Pavel, a former senior director for defence policy at the White House's National Security Council, said the US sought to maintain a ratio of two interceptors for every potential incoming missile. By that formula, the expanded defence system would be able to intercept up to 22 missiles.

However, Mr Pavel said that the Pentagon's announcement was pre-emptive and did not reflect the isolated communist dictatorship's current military strength.

Sanctions

The ground-based interceptors have often proved inaccurate during testing but Mr Hagel insisted "we have confidence in our system".

Last week, the North Korean foreign ministry threatened "pre-emptive nuclear strikes on the headquarters of the aggressors" after the UN voted to begin new sanctions in response to a nuclear test that the country conducted in February.

Mr Hagel said the new missile deployments were designed to "counter future missile threats from Iran and North Korea, while maximising scarce taxpayer resources". (©Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News