News Americas

Thursday 21 August 2014

US accused of 'blunders' over Benghazi killings

Kim Sengupta

Published 20/12/2012 | 05:00

  • Share

The Obama administration has been accused of a series of blunders over the killings of the US ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three of his team in Benghazi earlier this year.

  • Share
  • Go To

An independent review said the State Department was responsible for "systematic failures of leadership and management deficiencies", which contributed to the crisis. It concluded that the attack on the consulate in Benghazi was not a demonstration but a terrorist operation. Shortly after the review's findings were published, three State Department officials resigned from their posts.

The review's panel found there had been no protests against an inflammatory film about the Prophet Mohammed before the attack, as the State Department claimed. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she was accepting the panel's recommendations. "To fully honour those we lost, we must better protect those still serving to advance our nation's vital interests and values overseas," she pledged. (© Independent News Service)

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News