Top military man 'ready to admit' two sex murders
ONE of Canada's most senior military commanders will plead guilty to murder, sexual assaults and dozens of breaking and entering charges.
Lawyers for Col Russell Williams -- who once flew Britain's Queen Elizabeth and other world leaders around Canada -- said last night that their client would be pleading guilty.
Williams was in charge of Canada's largest Air Force base until he was charged earlier this year with the murder of two women, the sexual assault of two others and 82 break-ins, during which he stole women's panties.
Yesterday Michael Edelson, Williams' lawyer, told a judge that his client intended to admit responsibility to all the charges at his next court appearance on October 18
The case shocked the country, hurt soldiers' morale and prompted fears that the commander of Canada's most high-profile military base could have been a serial killer.
The 47-year-old is charged with the first-degree murder of Jessica Lloyd (27), whose body was found in February, and Marie Comeau, a 38-year-old corporal under his command, who was found dead in her home last November. Both women were asphyxiated.
He is also charged with forcible confinement, breaking and entering and sexual assault after two other women were attacked in their homes in the Tweed area of Ontario in September 2009.
Williams is also charged with breaking into 47 homes 82 times, beginning in 2007, including one home nine times. Most of the homes Williams was accused of breaking into were in Ottawa, where Williams has a house with his wife, and in the Tweed, Ontario, area, where Williams lived while he worked at Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Trenton, Ontario.
"He's just a very twisted individual," said retired Lieutenant-General Angus Watt. "He was able to lead an elaborate double life and was able to keep it successfully concealed. This was the act of a depraved individual and really has no reflection on the men and women of the Canadian Forces."
Angela McCanny, whose Ottawa home was broken into on back-to-back days in 2008, said that all the women's underwear in the house was stolen.
Anne Marsan-Cook, whose Belleville home was broken into on consecutive days in 2009, said sex toys and underwear were taken. She also said a chilling message was left on her computer: "Go ahead, call the police. I want to tell the judge about your really big dildos."
The 'Ottawa Citizen' said police seized 500 items of women's undergarments from Williams' Ottawa home.