Monday 5 December 2016

Thousands gather at funeral of boy (8) murdered and dismembered in Brooklyn

Colleen Long in New York

Published 15/07/2011 | 05:00

Men weep outside the synagogue in Brooklyn at the funeral of Leiby Kletzky
Men weep outside the synagogue in Brooklyn at the funeral of Leiby Kletzky

Thousands of mourners gathered in Brooklyn for the funeral of an eight-year-old boy whose brutal murder has shocked the city to its core.

  • Go To

Leiby Kletzky was abducted and dismembered by a man he approached for help after getting lost on a short walk home from day camp.

The funeral service drew a sea of men in black hats and coats and women in modest dresses -- the traditional dress of the Hasidic Jews who call the neighbourhood home. The overflow crowd packed neighbouring streets to listen to the ceremony.

The funeral came just hours after police discovered the remains of Leiby, and arrested a man who told them he had taken the boy home after he asked for directions, then killed him in a panic after learning that a massive search was under way.

Levi Aron (35) told police he took the boy to a wedding in the suburb of Monsey, according to a partial transcript of a written confession posted on the website of NBC New York. He said he didn't realise that volunteers were out searching. "When I saw the flyers I panicked and was afraid," he reportedly wrote.

Detectives found the boy's severed feet, wrapped in plastic, in the man's freezer, as well as a cutting board and three bloody carving knives. A plastic garbage bag with bloody towels was nearby.

"It is every parent's worst nightmare," police commissioner Raymond Kelly said following the arrest.

Mr Aron told police where to find the rest of the body; it was in pieces, wrapped in plastic bags, inside a red suitcase that had been tossed into a trash bin in another Brooklyn neighbourhood, Mr Kelly said.

Mr Aron was awaiting arraignment yesterday on a charge of second degree murder. Leiby disappeared on Monday while on his way to meet his mother seven blocks from his day camp, the first time the child was allowed to walk the route alone.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News