New celebrity injunction row as magazine names world-famous singer accused of sexually harassing hairdresser
Published 25/05/2016 | 20:37
The US magazine which sparked the celebrity threesome gagging row said it "refuses to be silenced" after making a mockery of British courts again by naming a world-famous singer at the centre of another injunction fight.
The household name was granted anonymity last year after being accused of sexually harassing his hairdresser during an employment tribunal, which was later settled out of court.
Two judges subsequently ruled News Group Newspapers, publishers of The Sun and The Sun on Sunday, should not be barred from revealing the identities of those involved.
However, the Judicial Office said the well-known figure - named as "RA" in tribunal hearings - had been given the go-ahead to take the case to the Court of Appeal at a date to be fixed.
The celebrity was named in the US less than week after a Supreme Court ruling last week banning publication of the name of a married man in the entertainment business who took part in a threesome.
In a leader, the magazine wrote that it will continue to ignore court rulings in the UK. "XXXX refuses to be silenced," it wrote.
Court documents reveal that the hairdresser, known as "CA", originally brought a lawsuit against the celebrity and two others, known as "RB" and "RC".
Mrs Justice Simler, president of the Employment Appeal Tribunal, referred to "RA" as a "well-known public figure" and insisted there was a "legitimate public interest" in the case.
Last week, Supreme Court judges declared that adults in the UK have no right to know about the sex lives of celebrities. They banned publication of the names of the married man who took part in a threesome, and that of his partner, in a landmark ruling that threatens to open the gates to a flood of gagging writs for the rich and famous.