Miners' families sue bosses for €7.2m
Relatives of 27 of the 33 men trapped in a Chilean mine are suing their bosses for €7.2m.
The families of the miners, trapped since August 5, will demand a similar amount from Chile's government in the next few days, their lawyer, Edgardo Reinoso, said.
Relatives accuse Alejandro Bohn and Marcel Kemeny, owners of the San Esteban mining company, of negligence and breaches of several workplace and mine safety regulations. The second suit will claim the government failed to enforce the regulations.
The miners are now expected to be rescued by the end of October, two months earlier than previously expected, Mining Minister Laurence Golborne said.
The miners will be lifted to the surface in rescue capsules from tunnels 700 metres (2,300 feet) underground in the second half of October, Mr Golborne said yesterday. "Some things are advancing faster than we thought," he added.
Rescuers have drilled 566 metres underground in the first of three boreholes, the government said in a statement.