Friday 28 October 2016

Massacre victim texted her mother to seek help

Juan A Lozano in Houston

Published 11/08/2015 | 02:30

David Conley in Court in Texas.
David Conley in Court in Texas.
The fourth of eight bodies is loaded into the coroner's truck at the scene of a shooting in which eight people were killed, in Houston, Texas.

A WOMAN who had dated the man accused of fatally shooting her, her husband and six children texted her mother before her death to say that she was being held at gunpoint, a Texas district attorney has said.

  • Go To

Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson said after the accused man appeared in court that authorities had been alerted of problems at the home by the mother of victim Valerie Jackson.

"My heart goes out to the mother who received the text from her daughter that she was in trouble.

The mother was many states away but of course did what any mother would do and called 911," Ms Anderson said.

David Conley (48) has been charged with capital murder.

Those killed, all of whom were shot in the head, were identified as parents Dewayne Jackson (50) and his wife, Valerie Jackson (40), as well as their children Dewayne (10), Honesty (11), Caleb (9), Trinity (7) and Jonah (6). Also killed was a 13-year-old, Nathaniel, who was believed to be Conley's son from the relationship with Ms Jackson.

Most of the victims had been handcuffed and some had been shot multiple times, police said.

Ms Anderson has not yet decided whether to seek the death penalty.

In 2013, Conley was charged with aggravated assault for threatening Jackson with a knife. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to nine months in the county jail.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News