Monday 5 December 2016

Massacre suspect commits suicide

Published 08/07/2011 | 08:21

A police car that was both hit and fired upon during a high-speed car chase through Grand Rapids, Michigan. Photo: AP
A police car that was both hit and fired upon during a high-speed car chase through Grand Rapids, Michigan. Photo: AP
Officers check the embankment of a highway in Grand Rapids, Michigan, after a high-speed car chase in pursuit of a shooting spree suspect (AP)

A man believed to have shot dead seven people in Michigan has killed himself during a stand-off with police.

  • Go To

Two hostages he was holding were safe, Grand Rapids police chief Kevin Belk said.

Mr Belk said 34-year-old Rodrick Dantzler shot himself inside a Grand Rapids home where he had been holding the hostages.

Dantzler had earlier released a 53-year-old woman. Two other hostages had remained in the home.

A manhunt for Dantzler began after four people were found dead in one Grand Rapids home and three were found in another. Mr Belk said the dead included two children.

The frantic search included a high-speed chase through central Grand Rapids during which Mr Belk says the suspect shot two other people. They did not suffer life-threatening injuries.

The names of the gunman's victims have not yet been released.

"We believe there were prior relationships with at least one person at each location, so we think there were some difficulties there," Mr Belk said.

Records show Dantzler was released from state prison in 2005 after serving time for assault less than murder. A spokesman for the prison system said he had not been under state supervision since then.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News