Saturday 3 December 2016

Man pulled from rubble four weeks after quake

Nick Allen in Los Angeles

Published 10/02/2010 | 05:00

A man pulled alive from the rubble of a building in Haiti's capital this week could have been trapped since the earthquake struck more than four weeks ago, doctors have said.

  • Go To

The 28-year-old, identified as Evan Muncie, was found in the wreckage of a market where he sold rice, his family told staff at a University of Miami field hospital.

He was suffering from extreme dehydration and malnutrition, but did not appear to have significant crush injuries.

"He was emaciated. He hadn't had anything (to eat or drink) in quite some time. He had open wounds that were festering on both of his feet," said Dr Mike Connelly, of the university's Project Medishare.

People who brought him to the hospital claimed that they found him while digging at the market. Mr Muncie told doctors that someone had brought him water while he was trapped, but medical staff said that he sounded confused and at times appeared to believe he was still under the rubble.

"Initially, I'm sure he had his senses with him, so maybe he was able to find some kind of resources," added Dr Connelly.

Dr Dushyantha Jayaweera, of the University of Miami field hospital, felt it was plausible that Mr Muncie had been buried since the quake. "It is unusual but not impossible," he said. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News