Friday 26 May 2017

Man dies after getting locked in Corvette after car battery dies

James Rogers, 72, from Texas became trapped in the car with his dog and died of heat exhaustion when he found himself unable to open the doors and windows

James Rogers died alongside his dog Leia after they became trapped in his car Photo: Levingstone Funeral Home
James Rogers died alongside his dog Leia after they became trapped in his car Photo: Levingstone Funeral Home

Josie Ensor

A MOTORIST in Texas has died of heat exhaustion in his Corvette after the battery failed and he could not open the electric doors or windows.

James Rogers, 72, died of heat exhaustion alongside his dog Leia after they became trapped in his car.

He had been to the Waffle House restaurant in Port Arthur, when he returned to his car and found himself locked in, unable to operate the horn, windows or door locks.

A low battery or a low key fob battery can cause the locks to lock up. But there is a manual release on the driver's side that allows occupants to bypass the battery, according to owners' manuals. Rogers apparently was unaware of the of the release.

He had reportedly left his phone in the restaurant so was unable to call for help.

It was four hours before employees of the restaurant spotted him in the car and tried to open the windows, but were unable to. Firefighters were called but Mr Rogers and the dog were already dead.

Temperatures outside had climbed above 32.2C. Mr Rogers' daughter, Tricia Hernandez, told 12News police had said there was evidence he had struggled to get out of the car.

On an online Corvette forum, several posters detailed having been locked inside their cars.

Telegraph.co.uk

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News