Man (22) dies in Fourth of July celebrations after lighting firework off his head
Published 06/07/2015 | 10:57
A man has died after attempting to launch a firework from the top of his head.
The incident occurred during a Fourth of July celebration on Saturday night in the US state of Maine.
Devon Staples (22) was enjoying the day's celebrations in his friend's backyard around 10pm when he placed the fireworks mortar tube on his head.
The firework exploded, killing the young man instantly, Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety.
“When he suggested he was going to do this, his friends gathered around him and they thought they had convinced him not to do it,” he told the Bangor Daily News.
However, the victim's brother Cody Staples refuted multiple reports, telling the New York Daily News that the incident was "a freak accident."
“It was a freak accident. Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh.”