Wednesday 28 September 2016

LGBT groups likely to be banned again from New York St Patrick's Day parade

David Kearns

Published 11/06/2015 | 12:55

Demonstrators protesting New York St Patrick's Day parade Credit: AFP/Getty Images
Demonstrators protesting New York St Patrick's Day parade Credit: AFP/Getty Images

LGBT groups are likely to be prevented from marching in next year’s St Patrick’s Day parade in New York, less than 12 months after a group was allowed to march for the first time in the parade’s history.

  • Go To

John Dunleavy, the chairman of the New York City St. Patrick’s Day parade, said LGBT groups would “have a problem marching in 2016”.

Speaking to Irish Central, he said: “No major changes [are planned]… but there is going to be changes.”

“The parade itself is not there to promote anybody’s particular agenda in any way, shape or form. [It] represents our faith, our heritage and our culture, nothing more and nothing less. So we’re going to keep to that, and anybody who wants to mix that up is going to have a problem next year."

Mr Dunleavy, who is up for re-election as the parade’s chairman, is said to be seeking a new broadcasting partner for the parade after WNBC insisted a LGBT group be allowed to take part in the 2015 parade.

The channel is the main station for the NBC Television Network, one of the biggest broadcasters in the United States.

Last year, a LGBT group from one of the parade’s biggest sponsors, OUT@NBCUniversal, was allowed to march, despite a ban on other LGBT groups.

The annual event – which is the world’s largest St Patrick’s Day parade - attracts over a million tourists each year despite its long-held ban on gay groups.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News