Hillary Clinton leaves hospital after blood-clot scare
Published 03/01/2013 | 05:00
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton left hospital last night after spending three days undergoing treatment for a blood clot in her head.
She was spotted driving away from New York-Presbyterian Hospital with husband Bill, daughter Chelsea and an aide.
Mrs Clinton, who developed the blood clot after she suffered a concussion when she fainted during a bout of stomach flu, had not been seen in public since December 7.
Initial reports said she was leaving hospital for tests elsewhere on the sprawling campus and that she returned to the building shortly later.
A hospital spokeswoman directed all questions about Mrs Clinton to the State Department, which had no immediate comment.
Earlier, a State Department spokeswoman said Mrs Clinton had been talking with her staff by telephone and receiving memos. Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland revealed last night that Mrs Clinton (65) had been "quite active" on the phone with state department aides.
Mrs Clinton was admitted to hospital on Sunday and is being treated with blood thinners to dissolve a clot in the vein behind the right ear. Doctors found the clot during a follow-up exam stemming from a concussion she suffered in early December. Mrs Clinton's doctors said there was no neurological damage and they expect she will make a full recovery.
The concussion was itself the result of an earlier illness, a stomach virus she had picked up during a trip to Europe that led to dehydration and a fainting spell after she returned to the US. Mrs Clinton didn't suffer a stroke from the clot.
The popular secretary of state and former first lady had already planned to step down at the beginning of US President Barack Obama's second term, which begins this month. Whether she will return to work before she resigns remains in question.
The clot is located in the vein in the space between the brain and the skull behind the right ear.