Monday 20 October 2014

Grief forces Sandy Hook parents to move house

Jon Swaine Washington

Published 16/01/2013 | 05:00

The parents of a British boy killed in the Connecticut school massacre said their grief would force them to move out of their family home, as President Barack Obama prepared to unveil plans for sweeping new gun control laws today.

Nicole and Ian Hockley, whose six-year-old son Dylan was one of 26 victims at Sandy Hook elementary last month, said they could no longer bear living close to the former home of Adam Lanza, the 20-year-old gunman.

"You can't drive up your driveway every day and see the house of a person who took your son's life and who brought so much pain to so many people," Mrs Hockley said.

Mrs Hockley has formed a pressure group with other victims' relations to make the massacre "a moment of trans- formation".

Restrictions

She spoke as Mr Obama prepared to unveil much-anticipated proposals to overhaul gun controls, having considered a list of recommendations from Joe Biden, his vice-president.

The president is expected to propose a new ban on high-powered assault weapons, restrictions on the capacity of magazines and a tougher national system of background checks. The measures are likely to face significant opposition from Republicans in Congress.

Mr Obama is also expected to announce that he is readying 19 executive orders to tighten gun controls that he claims can be implemented unilaterally.

Steve Stockman, a Republican congressman for Texas, has threatened to begin impeachment proceedings against Mr Obama in retaliation. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News