Tuesday 17 October 2017

Further survivors from Washington mudslide 'unlikely'

A rescue worker jumps over water in the search for victims of the mudslide in Oso, Washington
A rescue worker jumps over water in the search for victims of the mudslide in Oso, Washington

Authorities say they have all but abandoned hope of finding Washington mudslide survivors.

Meanwhile, Snohomish County executive director Gary Haakenson kept the official death toll at 17, a day after authorities said the toll would rise significantly.

The authorities said previously that at least 25 bodies were located, but only 17 had been recovered. Mr Haakenson said he believed crews were finding more bodies in the sodden debris, but the process from extraction to identification by the medical examiner's office was very slow.

Ninety people are confirmed missing from the recent mudslide in Oso, 55 miles north east of Seattle.

Online Editors

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in World News