Monday 29 December 2014

Father of 'Jihadi John' suspect awaits trial for bombings

Gordon Raynor 
and Peter Foster

Published 26/08/2014 | 02:30

American journalist James Foley who was beheaded in a video released by the Islamic State
American journalist James Foley who was beheaded in a video released by the Islamic State

A British extremist suspected of murdering James Foley is the son of an alleged al-Qa'ida terrorist awaiting trial over the bombing of two US embassies that resulted in the deaths of 224 people.

Adel Abdel Bary (54) is the father of Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, a 23-year-old former rapper from London who shares several physical attributes with "Jihadi John", the man who beheaded Mr Foley in a video released by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isis) last week.

Mr Bary, an Egyptian who was granted asylum in the UK in 1993, was extradited from Britain to the US at the same time as the hook-handed imam Abu Hamza. He is said to have been one of Osama bin Laden's key lieutenants in the 1990s.

He is being held at the Metropolitan Correctional Centre in New York, where he is due to be tried in November over the al-Qa'ida bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998.

He faces 213 counts of premeditated murder over the bombing in Nairobi and 11 over the attack in Dar es Salaam. He is also charged with conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, among other charges.

Abdel-Majid Abdel Bary, who posted a picture on Twitter of himself holding a severed head, went to Syria to fight with Isis after leaving his family's €1.25m home in west London.

Meanwhile, friends of Mr Foley have condemned "disgraceful" claims by the Syrian regime that the journalist was killed a year ago, as a series of contradictory theories about his death took hold.

Bouthaina Shabaan, the political and media adviser to President Bashar al-Assad, told the BBC that the United Nations had "information" that Mr Foley's beheading happened last year, and claimed he was kidnapped by the US-backed Free Syrian Army before being sold to his killers.

Mr Foley's boss, Phil Balboni, of the GlobalPost news organisation, said: "This is totally false and contradicted by a very significant body of incontrovertible evidence. We have multiple eyewitness accounts from hostages held with Jim as recently as last month. It's a disgrace that this was ever broadcast or published."

Some experts who have analysed the film have concluded that at least two people took part in killing Mr Foley.

Two different knives appear and one forensic analyst has suggested the British killer is only pretending to cut Mr Foley's throat, as no blood is seen, despite the knife being drawn backwards and forwards six times, and Mr Foley does not struggle during the attack. (©Daily Telegraph)

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News