Saturday 21 October 2017

'Cannibal' appears in court via video-link

Rita Devlin Marier

THE suspect in a cannibalistic killing in Montreal, Canada, Luka Rocco Magnotta, pleaded not guilty yesterday on all charges, his lawyer told a packed Quebec courtroom.

Police say the bisexual porn movie actor killed and dismembered Chinese student Jun Lin, before eating part of the body, sending the student's hands and feet to Canadian political parties and schools, and posting a gory video of the crime on the internet.

Magnotta (29) was briefly on Interpol's most-wanted list after fleeing Canada. Germany extradited him to Canada on Monday and he appeared by video-link to the Quebec court.

Prosecution officials said Magnotta's attorney asked for a delay in proceedings until tomorrow to decide whether to request a psychological evaluation.

Detained

Magnotta, dressed in the same clothes he was wearing when he arrived in Montreal from Germany on Monday night, appeared by video from where he being detained in Montreal, and only uttered one word.

He said "OK" to his lawyer when he told him, at the end of the court proceeding, that he could call him later that night if Magnotta wanted.

The charges formally levelled against Magnotta, besides first-degree murder, are criminal harassment, interfering with a dead body, mailing obscene materials and publishing obscene materials.

Earlier in Beijing, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei urged that justice be done.

"We hope that Canada can uphold justice, and in handling this case give consideration to the wishes of the deceased's family," said Mr Hong.

"We hope to see justice upheld in this case, so that the deceased can rest in peace."

Irish Independent

Editors Choice

Also in World News