Sunday 11 December 2016

Cain blames harassment claims for his poll slip

Jesse Hamilton in Washington

Published 28/11/2011 | 05:00

BUSINESSMAN Herman Cain blamed "false accusations" and media "confusion" about his positions on abortion and foreign policy for his collapse in polls in the race for the Republican presidential nomination.

  • Go To

"I've been real clear" on policy questions, Mr Cain said yesterday. "But a lot of confusion has been thrown my way and that's part of the -- part of politics, as they say."

Mr Cain, the 65-year-old former Godfather's Pizza chairman once viewed as a front-runner, slipped to third place in a national Republican presidential poll last week.

Mr Cain's videotaped stumble over a question about Libya went viral on the internet, and he faced allegations that he sexually harassed women while serving as head of the National Restaurant Association in the late 1990s. Mr Cain has denied all the accusations as baseless.

He said his statements about abortion during a CNN interview in October had been "taken out of context". During that interview, he said some abortion-related decisions should be made by families.

"Whatever they decide, they decide. The government shouldn't be trying to tell people everything to do, especially when it comes to social decisions," he said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News