Boy (15) charged over five gun deaths in New Mexico
Published 21/01/2013 | 05:00
A teenage boy has been charged with the murders of two adults and three children, allegedly shooting all five dead inside a home in New Mexico, in the latest shooting since the Sandy Hook massacre.
The boy, who local media reported as 15 years old, was arrested following the shootings which took place on Saturday night.
A man, a woman, two girls and a boy were found dead inside the house in South Valley, near the state's largest city Albuquerque.
A spokesman for the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office said that it was unclear whether the victims were related to each other or the alleged gunman. No identities have been released.
The boy was charged with two counts of murder, and three counts of child abuse resulting in death.
Several weapons, including an assault rifle, were found at the scene, the local media reported.
It is the latest shooting massacre in the US and comes at a time when the country is in the grip of a debate over gun control.
The debate was reignited following the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut in December, where 20 children and six members of staff were killed.
Last week President Barack Obama unveiled a raft of proposals to overhaul the country's firearms legislation – including banning assault weapons.
Meanwhile, accidental gunfire at three gun shows around the US on Saturday left five injured, authorities said, the same day that thousands of gun advocates gathered peacefully at state capitals around the US to rally against stricter firearm limits.
Three people were injured in Raleigh, North Carolina, at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show at the state fairgrounds, a quarterly event that usually draws thousands of people.
State agriculture department spokesman Brian Long said a 12-gauge shotgun discharged as its owner unzipped its case for a law enforcement officer to check at a security entrance.
Two bystanders were hit by shotgun pellets and taken to a hospital. A retired deputy sheriff suffered a slight injury to his hand.
Mr Long said the shotgun's owner, 36-year-old Gary Lynn Wilson, brought the weapon to the show to find a private buyer.
Sheriff Donnie Harrison said it was too early to know whether Mr Wilson might be charged.
In Indiana, police said a 54-year-old Indianapolis man was injured when he accidentally shot himself while leaving a gun show.
Meanwhile, authorities in Ohio said a gun dealer in Medina was checking out a semi-automatic handgun he had bought when he accidentally pulled the trigger, injuring his friend. The gun's magazine had been removed from the firearm but one round remained in the chamber, police said.