14 dead in wake of US snowstorm
Published 11/02/2013 | 04:00
FOURTEEN people have died and about 345,000 homes and businesses were left without power as the US north-east and Canada were hit by a blizzard that dumped up to three feet of snow.
Authorities in some hard-hit New England states predicted the storm could leave some customers in the dark until today at least.
"We've never seen anything like this," said county official Steven Bellone, of New York's Long Island, where hundreds of drivers had been caught on highways by Friday's fast-moving storm.
Some motorists had to be rescued after spending hours stuck in wet, heavy snow.
Police said all known abandoned cars had been searched, and no one needing medical help was found.
At least 11 deaths in the US and three in Canada were blamed on the snowstorm, including that of an 11-year-old boy in Boston, who was overcome by carbon monoxide as he sat in a car left running to keep warm while his father shovelled snow on Saturday.
In Massachusetts, the National Guard and Worcester emergency workers teamed up to deliver a baby at the height of the storm at the family's home. The mother and baby were fine.
Blowing with hurricane-force winds, the storm hit hard along the heavily populated corridor between New York City and Maine.
New York City's three major airports – LaGuardia, Kennedy and Newark, New Jersey – were up and running by late Saturday morning after shutting down the evening before. Boston's Logan Airport resumed operations late on Saturday night.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie