Tuesday 23 May 2017

Aleppo rebels propose truce as Syrian troops gain ground

Smokes rise in an east Aleppo neighbourhood during a battle between forces loyal to Syrian president Bashar Assad and rebels (AP)
Smokes rise in an east Aleppo neighbourhood during a battle between forces loyal to Syrian president Bashar Assad and rebels (AP)

Several Syrian rebel factions, staring a brutal defeat in the face, have proposed a five-day ceasefire in the eastern part of the city of Aleppo so the wounded, sick and other civilians can be evacuated.

The proposal came as Syrian government troops and allied militiamen declared they have seized control of three-quarters of the enclave that the opposition had controlled since 2012.

The ceasefire proposal was signed by the Aleppo command centre, apparently a reference to the collection of factions fighting inside the eastern enclave.

A rebel spokesman said al Qaida-linked group Fatah al-Sham Front, which has a limited presence in the enclave, will abide by the proposal.

The offer made no mention of a rebel pullout from Aleppo, though the proposal said the fate of the city is to be negotiated after the humanitarian crisis eases.

The Syrian government and its ally Russia had previously rejected a ceasefire for the war-torn city, keeping up the military offensive that has forced rebel retreats and massive displacement of Aleppo civilians.

On Wednesday, US secretary of state John Kerry and Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov were meeting for talks on Syria in Germany.

Earlier, Syrian government troops and allied militiamen seized more ground in Aleppo's ancient quarters, further widening their control over an enclave in the divided city, Syria's state media and an opposition monitoring group said.

With the latest gains, the endgame for Aleppo, which has been carved up between the government and the rebel side for the past four years, appears to draw even closer.

If Aleppo - the country's former commercial hub - is captured by government troops, it would be a turning point in the conflict, putting the four largest cities in Syria and the coastal region back under state control.

Also on Wednesday, the state SANA news agency said that Israel launched several surface-to-surface missiles that hit near a military airport west of Damascus, triggering a fire.

SANA said the missiles fell within the perimeter of the Mezzeh military airport, the main air base in the Damascus area.

It lies on the western edge of the capital and had previously come under rebel fire. No injuries were reported.

It was the second such Israeli strike into Syria recently, according to the Syrian government, following two missiles fired from Lebanese airspace towards the outskirts of Damascus last week.

But Wednesday's attack is believed to be the first from Israel into the vicinity of Damascus in years.

Israel is widely believed to have carried out a number of air strikes in Syria in the past few years that have targeted advanced weapons systems, including Russian-made anti-aircraft missiles and Iranian-made missiles.

The arms are believed to be destined for the Lebanese Shiite Hezbollah militant group, a close ally of the Syrian government and a fierce enemy of Israel.

Rebel defences in eastern Aleppo have collapsed rapidly in the face of a massive government assault backed by Russia and thousands of Iranian-backed Shiite fighters.

On Tuesday, Syrian government forces captured Aleppo's centrally located al-Shaar neighbourhood, securing about 45 square kilometres (17 square miles) of the besieged enclave less than two weeks after launching their ground offensive.

The offensive was preceded by an intensive bombing campaign that knocked out medical facilities and left the civilian population reeling from the violence.

According to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, 369 civilians, including 45 children, were killed in eastern Aleppo since November 15.

The observatory said 92 civilians, including 34 children, were killed in the government-controlled western Aleppo that came under rebel fire.

SANA said Syrian forces on Wednesday established control over two districts north of the Aleppo Citadel in the heart of the city - the Aghiour and Bab al-Hadid neighbourhoods - after rebels abandoned positions and retreated further south.

The new gains have choked the rebels, forcing them to pull back to other parts of the Old City, said the observatory.

A map provided by the Syrian army showed a quickly shrinking opposition enclave - a pointed leaf-shaped territory in the centre, abutting already government-controlled Aleppo districts.

In a statement, the observatory said dozens of bodies littered streets stretching from al-Shaar to the southern part of eastern Aleppo, including the Old City, as a result of ongoing intense government bombardment.

Captain Abdel-Salam Abdel-Razek, of the rebel Nour el-Din el-Zinki faction - one of the largest operating inside Aleppo - said the ceasefire proposal was driven by humanitarian concerns because of the rising death toll and intensive destruction.

He said currently there was no talk of rebels leaving the city.

The proposal calls for the immediate evacuation of 500 seriously wounded and for allowing civilians wishing to leave to head to northern rural Aleppo, where there is almost no government presence.

It also calls for negotiations over the future of the city of Aleppo once the humanitarian crisis eases.

Capt Abdel-Razek said this humanitarian pause is to be monitored by the United Nations.

Wissam Zarqa, an English teacher in eastern Aleppo and an outspoken government opponent, said the rebel retreat from large parts of Old Aleppo was "concerning".

"We are exhausted. There is a lot of death and unprecedented destruction," he said.

AP

Press Association

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News