US deploys 80 troops to help find kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls
Published 22/05/2014 | 02:30
The US has deployed 80 military personnel to Chad to help locate more than 200 girls kidnapped in Nigeria, US President Barack Obama has said.
Mr Obama said the service members will help with intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft for missions over northern Nigeria.
He said the force will stay in Chad until its support is no longer necessary. Chad shares a portion of its western border with north-eastern Nigeria.
The girls were kidnapped last month by Islamic extremist group Boko Haram.
Meanwhile, suspected Nigerian Islamist militants killed 17 people in a remote north-eastern village on Tuesday night, hours after a bomb killed 118 people in the central city of Jos, police said yesterday.
Militants opened fire on Alagarno village and razed several houses to the ground, a source at police headquarters said.
The attack was barely 30km from Chibok, where Boko Haram Islamists abducted more than 200 schoolgirls last month.
Separately, police said men on motorbikes had killed nine people in a raid on the nearby village of Shawa on Monday.
There was no claim of responsibility for either assault, but Boko Haram has either claimed or been blamed for scores of similar attacks in Borno state, near the border with Cameroon. (Reuters)
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie