News Africa

Sunday 20 August 2017

Masked gunmen kill 26 Coptic Christians south of Cairo and injure dozens of others - eyewitnesses

Twenty-three people were killed and 25 were injured in the incident
Twenty-three people were killed and 25 were injured in the incident
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Masked gunmen attacked a group of Coptic Christians in southern Egypt on Friday, killing 26 people and wounding 26 others as they were driving to a monastery, medical sources and eyewitnesses said.

The group was traveling in two buses and a small truck in Minya province, which is home to a sizeable Christian minority, the sources said.

Provincial governor Essam al-Bedaiwy said earlier that 23 people had been killed and 25 wounded.

Eyewitnesses said the Copts were attacked as they were going to pray at the monastery of Saint Samuel the Confessor in the western part of the province.

They said masked men stopped the vehicles on a road leading to the monastery and opened fire.

Coptic Christians, who make up about 10 percent of Egypt's population of 92 million, have been the subject of a series of deadly attacks in recent months.

Read More: Egyptian church attack suspects face military trial over 75 deaths

About 70 have been killed in bomb attacks on churches in the cities of Cairo, Alexandria and Tanta since December.

Those attacks were claimed by Islamic State. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Friday's attack.

Reuters

Editors Choice

Also in World News