Thursday 8 December 2016

Libya claims NATO is obstructing rebel talks

Published 05/07/2011 | 05:00

The Libyan government has accused Nato of undermining secret negotiations it claims are under way with senior rebels in order to prevent a peaceful solution to the four-month conflict.

  • Go To

Covert and informal talks have taken place in foreign states, including Italy and Norway, for the past two months, officials in Tripoli said yesterday.

The claims have been strongly contested by the rebel leadership. But Khaled Kaim, Libya's deputy foreign minister, said progress had been made "in some areas" but hopes for a breakthrough had been dashed because of unspecified Nato obstructions.

"Some member states of Nato don't support talks between the government and the rebels," he said.

The National Transitional Council, the rebels' de-facto government in Benghazi, has consistently denied any negotiations are taking place. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News