Bomb kills 10 in Kenya hours after tourists flee
Published 17/05/2014 | 02:30
Tourists were evacuated from Kenya last night as twin terrorist bombings in the capital Nairobi killed 10 people – the deadliest attacks in the country since al-Qa'ida's strike against a shopping centre last year.
Coaches carrying holidaymakers earlier sped to the airport through Kenya's main coastal city of Mombasa in convoys guarded by police four-wheel-drives filled with armed officers.
The second of two chartered jets sent from London took off at lunchtime, full of tourists whose dream trips ended when Britain updated its travel advice to put Mombasa and popular beaches off-limits.
Alex Dolphin, from Surrey, landed yesterday at Gatwick after his holiday was cancelled after just three days, and said he felt no sense of danger until he was being taken to the airport in Mombasa.
"I didn't feel uneasy until we were in a convoy of three coaches parked on the roadside waiting to leave for the airport," he said. "I was keeping an eye open as we drove through Mombasa."
Augustine Conall, waiting to depart at the Moi International airport, said: "Our families are also worried and are calling us and telling us to go back."
Another Briton, Matilda Evan, said: "Six days of my holiday have gone to waste just like that. But again, when your government tells you to leave for security reasons, what else can do you do?"
Britain joined the United States, France, Australia and others this week in warning its citizens to avoid some areas of the country including the whole of Mombasa, and beaches immediately to its north.
This prompted Thomson and First Choice to pull all of its clients out of the country, the first leaving on Thursday night.
Beaches further north of Mombasa and most south of the city are safe, as are all safari areas, the Foreign Office said. (© Daily Telegraph, London)
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie