World News

Thursday 31 July 2014

38 soldiers killed in Yemen attacks

Published 20/09/2013|09:36

  • Share
Yemeni soldiers man a checkpoint following attacks by al-Qaida militants (AP)

Co-ordinated attacks by al-Qaida militants in a southern province of Yemen have killed at least 38 soldiers and wounded dozens more, a military official said.

  • Share
  • Go To

Major Raed Mohammed Nasser said the attacks took place at dawn on Friday in Shabwa province.

He said the militants, taking advantage of heavy fog, surprised the troops in barracks in bases at the Maysaa and Kamp areas.

Maj Nasser said heavy clashes are still under way near a third military encampment, in the al-Ain area, where militants detonated a car bomb outside the barracks.

He said eight militants have died in the fighting so far.

Yemeni authorities are leading a war against al-Qaida's local branch, considered by Washington as one of the world's most dangerous terror groups.

Press Association

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in World News