365 migrants 'dead or missing' after Mediterranean shipwrecks
Published 18/11/2016 | 13:51
The UN's migration watcher has said it now believes 365 people are dead or missing from Mediterranean shipwrecks in recent days.
Leonard Doyle of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), a related organisation to the UN, says there is "a calamity in plain sight".
New figures indicate a higher toll from six incidents in the last three days between Libya and Italy, he said. IOM had put the figure at 340 on Thursday.
Mr Doyle told reporters in Geneva that 4,636 people have died on the Mediterranean this year, about 1,000 more than through this point in November last year.
With migrants taking to flimsy rubber rafts to attempt the crossing, he said IOM counts a six-fold increase in deaths this month compared to November last year.