News World News

Thursday 18 September 2014

33 killed in head-on bus crash

Published 22/08/2014 | 10:21

  • Share
Thirty-three people have reportedly died after a head-on collision between two tourist buses near a Red Sea resort

Thirty-three people have been killed and 41 others injured in a head-on collision between two tourist buses near a popular Red Sea resort, Egypt's state news agency said.

  • Share
  • Go To

Mena said the crash happened about 30 miles (50km) from Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, early today.

The buses were travelling in opposite directions and collided head-on on the main road. The cause of the accident was not immediately known.

Khaled Abu Hashem, chief of the local emergency services, said four foreigners - a 20-year-old Ukrainian woman, a Yemeni man and a Saudi woman and child - were among the wounded but their injuries were slight.

Traffic accidents are common in Egypt due to badly maintained roads and disregard of traffic laws. Road accidents killed about 13,000 people in Egypt last year.

Press Association

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News