News World News

Monday 22 September 2014

33 killed in air strike

Published 20/02/2013 | 04:00

  • Share

Syrian missile strike levelled a block of buildings in an impoverished district of Aleppo yesterday, killing at least 33 people, almost half of them children, anti-regime activists said.

  • Share
  • Go To

The apparent ground-to-ground missile attack struck a quiet area that has been held by anti-regime fighters for many months, a reminder of how difficult it is for the opposition to defend territory in the face of the regime's far superior weaponry.

Pollution heart risk

Air pollution increases the chances of heart attack survivors dying early, research has shown. Higher levels of tiny sooty particles in the air led to more deaths among patients after they had left hospital.

Experts monitored more than 154,000 patients treated for heart attacks and angina for an average period of 3.7 years. Exposure to man-made pollutants increased death rates among survivors of acute coronary syndrome (ACS) by 12pc, the scientists found. This meant that over the study period there were almost 5,000 extra deaths.

SARS-type virus

A British man infected with a new virus from the same family as SARS has died, health officials said yesterday, bringing the worldwide death toll from the previously unknown disease to six.

The virus, called novel coronavirus or NCoV, was unknown in humans until it emerged in the Middle East last year. There have been 12 confirmed cases worldwide – including in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Britain – and half the patients have died.

Deadly pizza deal

A US pizza shop owner has expressed his support for firearm rights by giving gun owners a 15pc discount.

The discount is offered to anyone who brings a gun or concealed handgun permit to All Around Pizzas And Deli in Virginia Beach.

The owner said since the discount began last Friday, 80pc of his customers have brought guns into the pizza shop, with one bringing an AK-47.

Jackson Jnr hits TV

The teenage son of late pop star Michael Jackson has signed up to be a correspondent for the 'Entertainment Tonight' television show, following in the footsteps of his show business family.

Prince Jackson (16) was to debut on 'Entertainment Tonight' yesterday, interviewing actors James Franco, Zach Braff and director Sam Raimi as they promote their upcoming film 'Oz the Great and Powerful', the programme said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News