Independent Woman

Saturday 30 August 2014

Holly Willoughby quits 'The Voice' to concentrate on her family

Published 15/09/2013 | 09:46

  • Share
Holly Willoughby who has announced she won't be returning for third series of BBC's The Voice
Holly Willoughby who has announced she won't be returning for third series of BBC's The Voice
Andrea Begley from County Tyrone in Northern Ireland, with the other contestants, after she was crowned the winner of this year's BBC show The Voice. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo.
Andrea Begley from County Tyrone in Northern Ireland, with the other contestants, after she was crowned the winner of this year's BBC show The Voice. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo.
BBC's The Voice.
BBC's The Voice.

The 32-year-old – who also presents ITV shows ‘This Morning’ and ‘Surprise Surprise’ – said she decided to step down from the BBC show as she sought find the “right balance between my work and family life”.

  • Share
  • Go To

The 32-year-old – who also presents ITV shows ‘This Morning’ and ‘Surprise Surprise’ – said she decided to step down from the BBC show as she sought find the “right balance between my work and family life”.

Her co-presenter Reggie Yates has also quit.

This morning, the BBC announced that Emma Willis – who hosts Big Brother on Channel 5 – will take over from mum-of-two Holly.

Emma, who is also a mum of two and married to former Busted singer and ‘I’m A Celeb’ winner Matt Willis, will host the third series next year.

A replacement for Yates will be announced next week, the BBC said.

Holly and Reggie’s departure comes several months after mentors Danny O’Donoghue and Jessie J said they would not be returning to the show.

The Voice was a ratings hit for the BBC when it first started two years ago, with the blind auditions stage, and was beating Britain’s Got Talent on ITV.

However, when it got to the live shows, ratings dropped significantly.

The format was tweaked by executives when it returned last year, but it underperformed and was beaten by Simon Cowell’s BGT.

Kylie Minogue has been announced as a new mentor for the third series, and a fourth mentor is expected to be announced soon.

In a statement issued this morning, Holly Willoughby said: "After much consideration, I will not be returning for series three of The Voice UK.

"I've had two wonderful years on the show, and I feel very privileged to have been a part of it.

“Finding the right balance between my work and family life is my priority and this has contributed to my decision.

“I look forward to watching the next series from my sofa, and I wish the whole team the best of luck

"I've had a fantastic time on the last two series of The Voice UK and I wish all the team the best of luck for the new series."

Willis, who has also had presenting slots on This Morning and hosts Heart FM's Sunday breakfast show, said: "The Voice is an absolutely brilliant TV show with the unique ability to showcase and nurture amazing raw talent. I couldn't be more excited to be a part of it and I cannot wait to get started."

Mark Linsey, BBC controller of entertainment commissioning, said: "I'd like to thank Holly and Reggie for the fantastic job they've done on the first two series of The Voice UK but understand their reasons for leaving and wish them all the very best.

“With two new coaches on board and our two new presenters it's going to really mix things up."

Charlotte Moore, controller of BBC One, added that she was "thrilled" to welcome Willis to the show as she is a "brilliant live TV presenter".

The next series will begin in January 2014 - with  mentors Tom Jones and will.i.am the only two expected to make a return.

Press Association

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in this section