OK! Magazine apologises for Kate ‘baby weight loss regime’ cover
Controversy has raged since the magazine hit the shelves on Tuesday, with a front cover suggesting the new mum will have a “post-baby weight loss regime”.
The magazine also carried a six-page ‘duchess diet’ and weight loss plan.
Kate (32) gave birth to her first child, Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge, less than 24 hours earlier on Monday afternoon.
Kate left St Mary’s maternity hospital in London on Tuesday afternoon alongside her husband Prince William, cradling their newborn baby boy.
Kate was praised by many for not hiding her ‘post-baby bump’ when facing the world media 24 hours after giving birth.
But as the new parents left the hospital, the magazine’s special royal baby edition hit shelves and sparked huge controversy.
Social media outlets has been inundated with outraged commentary regarding the cover, which claimed the publication had an exclusive interview with Kate’s trainer saying “She’s super fit - her stomach will shrink straight back”. It also flagged her “post-baby weight loss regime” on the cover.
“Kate is one of the great beauties of our age and OK! readers love her,” the spokesperson said.
“Like the rest of the world, we were very moved by her radiance as she and William introduced the Prince of Cambridge to the world.
“We would not dream of being critical of her appearance.
“If this was misunderstood because of our cover it was not intended.”
The publication has led to widespread condemnation in both the UK and Ireland where the magazine is on sale.
RTE’s Miriam O’Callaghan, a mother of eight, described the cover as “bordering on outrageous”.
Miriam said it was a “dangerous area in life” to be discussing baby weight only after a new mum has left hospital.
“I thought it was incredibly insensitive and bordering on outrageous. She has only had the baby a day, and they are already talking about her losing weight.
“It is the most wonderful thing to have a baby. It is natural to put on a bit of weight and you naturally lose it by running after the baby and hard work.”
Former Blue Peter presenter Katy Hill called for a boycott of the magazine.
She also picture of herself showing off her post-birth stomach, two months after she gave birth.
The National Women’s Council of Ireland (NWCI) also described the focus as “pretty ridiculous”.
The NWCI’s director Orla O’Connor said there was a lot of pressure on women “to look a particular way, in terms of their size and shape”.
“For us, that is the issue. Particularly on younger women there is a real pressure from the advertising industry to be underweight, which is not healthy.